Christine was voted as Patient of the Month by our staff, and we found out that she had a new job working at her kid’s school, so we decided to surprise her with a gift. The only obstacle was that this school was on Camp Pendleton Military base at San Onofre.
On Monday July 23rd, the Orange County Business Journal in concert with the Best Companies Group announced their list of best employers. We are pleased to announce that Shoreline Dental was voted as one of the Top 15 places to work in Orange County for the category of Small Business (15-49 Employees).
After many months of hard work, we are excited to finally make our big announcement!
Dr Kristen Ritzau is proud to release her new book Distinctive Dentistry: Obtaining an Unparalleled Dental Experience and a Healthy Smile for Life.
Patients and public alike are invited to attend her Book Release Party and Book Signing on Wednesday May 30th at 6pm at Shoreline Dental Studio. Appetizers and drinks will be served to those in attendance and raffle prizes will be given away. The books, which retail on Amazon.com for $14.95, will be available for $10 each and Dr Ritzau will be available to sign copies for guests.
Even before we were Shoreline Dental Studio, Dr. Ritzau and team have called San Clemente home for our practice and personal lives. Each summer, we get excited about the things that make San Clemente special, from certain summer-only events to breathtaking nature experiences that are not to be missed with the warmer weather! If you're new in town, get familiar with your new city by visiting the following -
- San Clemente Music and Movie Series
- Kicks off June 21st with a Concert from Flashback Heart Attack on the Pier. During July they'll be showing movies such as Mary Poppins and Coco, which are perfect for younger attendees. For the complete list of concerts and movies, check out the full concert and movie schedule here.
- 17th Annual Paint San Clemente
- This annual plein air painting event is sponsored by the San Clemente Art Association. The weeklong event is comprised of several separate events which bring local and national artists to paint San Clemente scenes. The two day art exhibit is free for all entries on the Community Center Lawn and winners of the competition are announced on Saturday June 30, with all of the art on display through Sunday July 1st. Visit paintsanclemete.com for more info!
- Ocean Festival
- In it's 42nd year, the Ocean Festival returns to San Clemente bringing with it tons of great family activities and a Free Beach Concert! Younger family members will have a blast with the Sand Sculpting Contest, Great Rubber Duck Race, and Youth Pavilion while teens and parents are thrilled by Woody Car Exhibits, Dory Boat Races, 5K Beach Run, and One Mile Ocean Swim. Don't miss out on July 21st, and be sure to register early if you'd like to participate! Check out www.oceanfestival.org for schedule and info.
- Trails & Hiking
- San Clemente is a rare Orange County gem that is bordered on two sides by protected wild lands. Deer, coyote and bobcats are common as is a full compliment of local and seasonal bird life! If the weather permits, grab the leash for your best furry fried and hit the trail! Forster Ridgeline, Prima Deshecha, and Cristianitos Trails also for leashed dogs, while Beach Trails offer a spectacular view of the coast in both directions. Maps for all trails can be downloaded here.
- Carnival Colossal
- As the weather cools, head over to Vista Hermosa Sports Park for Carnival Rides and Games sponsored by the San Clemente Friends Foundation. Entry and parking are free for this fall festival, boasting some of the best food trucks in the area! For discount ride tickets, check out www.sanclementeparksfoundation.org.
As the days get longer and warmer, many people decide to refresh their homes with a thorough spring cleaning. But when’s the last time you took the same sort of care to refresh your smile? If your oral care habits fell a bit to the wayside over the winter and you want to get things back in shape, here are 5 tips to spring clean your oral health routine (and they’re all dentist approved).
1. Buy a New Toothbrush
To maintain optimal oral health, your toothbrush should be replaced every three to four monthsor sooner if the bristles begin to appear frayed. Why? Because damaged bristles aren’t as effective at cleaning teeth.
Brushing your teeth is the most critical part of dental care, so you want to make sure your toothbrush is doing a quality job. That way, you can lower your risk of cavities, prevent damaging plaque and tartar buildup, and maintain the health of your gums. So, every time the seasons change, make sure to get a new toothbrush (or toothbrush head) to keep your oral health routine as strong as possible.
2. Kick Start Your Flossing
If you aren’t flossing once a day, now is a great time to start. People who don’t floss may not be removing all of the plaque from between their teeth, even if they are thoroughly brushing twice a day. This means you are at an increased risk of developing tartar, which can lead to gum disease.
Flossing only takes a couple of minutes a day, but can save you a lot of trouble down the road. So, if it isn’t part of your routine, make sure to add it today.
3. Deep Clean Your Night Guards
To maintain proper oral health, your night guard needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. This includes custom night guards created by your dentist as well as over the counter models many people choose to use. Every morning when you take your night guard out, make sure to lightly brush all of the surfaces using your toothbrush, then rinse with cold water. You don’t need to apply toothpaste to the brush. Since toothpaste can be abrasive, it may scratch your night guard and cause it to wear out more quickly. It’s important to allow your night guard to dry completely before storing it as to fight rapid bacterial growth. Choose a clean, flat surface to allow your night guard to dry. Usually, it will dry in 15-30 minutes. We recommend that you keep the night guard stored in your bedroom or on your nightstand instead of the bathroom because over time the steam and humidity in the bathroom can cause warping of the night guard.
Once it is time to wear it again, give it another thorough brushing and rinse before placing it on your teeth. You can also complete a weekly deep cleaning by using a denture cleaning tablet (just follow the instructions that come with the tablets).
4. Give Up Sugary Summer Drinks
Sugary drinks can do significant damage to your teeth and have other negative impacts on your overall oral health. The problem is that the sugar attaches itself to the surfaces in your mouth, providing the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. And, as the bacteria consume the sugars, it leads to the creation of acid that can damage the enamel on the tooth’s surface, increasing the risk of cavities.
5. Make an Appointment to Visit Shoreline Dental Studio!
Regular dentist appointments play a big role in maintaining a healthy smile. The standard recommendation is to come in for a cleaning at least once every six months. This ensures the surfaces of your teeth are in good shape and that your mouth is healthy. We're ready when you are and we've made it easier than ever to schedule an appointment online - http://www.shorelinedentalstudio.com/appointment/
#4 Green Tea
#5 Whole Grains
#7 Sugarless Gum
#8 Citrus Fruit
Dental emergencies happen. From playing recreational sports to slipping and falling outside, you can never fully prepare yourself for such an event (although it is another reason why you should wear a mouthguard while partaking in physical sporting events). So what happens when you chip a tooth? Some of it does depend on the severity of the chip, but with the help of a San Clemente dentist like Shoreline Dental Studio, all of your oral needs will be covered.
Chipped a Tooth?
A tooth chip occurs when a bit of your tooth chips off. From biting down on a fork to slipping and falling, the tooth chip will likely catch you off guard, and it may hurt a bit, but chances are it isn't yet an emergency issue. Chipping your tooth doesn't usually put the tooth itself in any kind of danger. However, you should still make an appointment to correct the tooth. Your dentist will be able to remedy your tooth without an issue. Additionally, the dentist can carry out X-rays and other procedures just to make sure there isn't additional structural damage. Sometimes, you may actually need a root canal if the impact to your tooth actually killed off the nerve endings and damaged the integrity of the tooth.
A cracked tooth is a completely different story. A chip in the tooth is a blemish and often looks worse than it really is. A cracked tooth on the other hand poses serious threat to the overall health of the tooth. If not cared for right away, the crack will continue to splinter and the entire tooth itself will eventually suffer catastrophic problems, including the possible need for extraction. In order to save the tooth and to prevent anything more severe taking place, you need to come into the dentist office right away. While on your way, avoid putting any kind of pressure down on the tooth as it may cause additional fractions within it and other nearby teeth.
From chips to complete cracks down your tooth, it is important to move quickly in order to address your dental issue. The San Clemente dentist team at Shoreline Dental Studio is here to assist you with all of your dental, both emergency and regular, needs. So stop by the office for any emergency needs or feel free to set up an appointment online at the Shoreline Dental Studio website.