The summer's over and it's time to go back to school. Your child needs new clothes, school supplies, and athletic gear for gym class. But there's one thing missing from your end of summer checklist... a visit to your child's dentist. Healthy teeth and gums are a part of a healthy body, and scheduling that dental appointment before the start of school will ensure your child won't be bothered by oral health problems when she's trying to study. Many children's dental care routines slack off during the summer. Things are more relaxed, and children are more likely to indulge in treats like candy, soda, and ice cream. Helping them get back on track with their dental care before school starts is important.
A dentist can diagnose potential problems such as gum disease or tooth decay, and apply preventive measures like teeth cleaning, fluoride treatments, and dental sealants. She can also fit your child for a mouth guard to protect his teeth while playing sports.
Alternatively, untreated dental problems can be painful and interfere with your child’s educational development. The State of California estimated that in 2007, seven percent of the more than seven million children enrolled in school missed at least one day of classes because of dental problems.
The American Dental Association advocates that a dental examination is just as important as booster shots and immunizations, and should be a part of a family's regular back-to-school preparations.
You can help reinforce the work we do at the Shoreline Dental Studio by encouraging your child to:
- Brush regularly with fluoride toothpaste
- Floss once a day
- Avoid foods that are damaging to your child’s teeth.
As a parent, you can help to ensure that maintaining your child's healthy dental care routine is easy.
- Buy several new toothbrushes for your child at the same time you buy his school supplies. He'll always have a fresh one for when the old one starts to show wear, or after he has had an illness.
- Pack your child a healthy lunch like raw vegetables, whole grains, cheese, milk, fruit or yogurt.
- If your child buys his lunch from the school cafeteria, review the menu with him and help him make healthy food choices.
Send your children off to school with a healthy smile. Schedule an appointment at the Shoreline Dental Studio today!